In the year 1683 a few members of the Cloughtetin Baptist Church, County Tipperary Ireland, settled on the Cohansey Creek, and the Cohansey Baptist Church was founded in 1690. Cohansey Baptist's first building was erected on the south side of Cohansey Creek Their second building was erected at Mount's Run (Sheppard's Mill) near Greenwich in 1710. Around 1800, Cohansey Baptist Church moved to its present building in Roadstown.
Baptists in Greenwich, however, continued to hold weekly prayer meetings, and the pastor of Cohansey Baptist conducted services in the town schoolhouse and in private homes. Evangelistic meetings in 1843 increased the Greenwich Baptist ranks. A collection was soon taken to finance the construction of a permanent meeting house. The Greenwich Baptist meeting house was dedicated on Nov. 9, 1844 and services were held every Sunday evening. On Dec.1, 1849, the Cohansey Baptist Church released 49 members in order to be organized into the newly formed Greenwich Baptist Church, first meeting for full services on Dec. 19, 1849. Greenwich Baptist Church was constituted a separate church on Jan.1, 1850. The first pastor, J. R. Murphy, assumed duties on Feb. 1, 1850 at a salary of $350.00 per year. Evangelistic services during the winter of 1870-1871 resulted in the conversion and baptism, of 75 persons. The congregation adopted a strong Biblical church covenant and articles of faith (The New Hampshire Confession of Faith), consistent with historic Christianity and Baptist witness. These same Biblical principles are the doctrinal convictions of the congregation of the present day.